Thursday, December 19, 2013

December 16, 2013

Dearest Family and friends,

This week has been...interesting...like it had some of the best experiences I have had, and then some of the worst! I don't even know where to being so I will start with the bad, cause it's easier to get that part over with and then end on a good note haha. Well one of our less active couples we are working with almost dropped us, I don't know what stopped them really. We went to see this couple who are so amazing we love them. We asked them if they had read from the Book of Mormon, cause we had previously challenged them, their response was "no" with sort of this attitude. We brushed it off and continued to talk and then sister Taylor got up and left, which was odd. Then Brother Taylor started going off on how he will not read until he comes back to church, because when he stops going to church("they never come to  1 pm church, but they come when it is earlier, that is what they say) anyways when he stops going to church he puts everything with the gospel on hold also. I asked him why, and he asked me why I did not understand. I explained that I did not understand how if he can't make it to church he stops living the gospel, because it is so important to me that if I could not come to church I am sure to live the other parts of the gospel even more. He got frustrated when I said this, and told me no one understands but his wife. His wife came in and told us to stop because she did not want an argument...I seriously only said like 2 sentences and he was the one arguing. We changed the subject and shared a message on charity and we were sure they would say not to come back, but they did not. I know that Heavenly father made sure of that, which was a huge blessing. They actually ended up coming to the Christmas party too! Which was so awesome, and I hope they will start to come around.
      
So the next story starts out happy. So remember Jody, I have mentioned her before and how she had a son on a mission in Texas, and she was not a member. Well we were walking out of the church one of the nights..I think it was Thursday? Well there is this young man who totally looks like a missionary, but he was with this old lady so I did not think anything of it. We walk past and then we hear "sister?" and we turn around and it clicks! It is her son! I say "Charlie!" and we start to talk, he had just gotten released as a missionary I think, anyways he knew our number already and we got his and wanted to talk more about his mom. The next day we called him and figured out what we could do to help her and decided to meet that night with his mom. Well we went to Jodys and she said her phone still had not been fixed. Then later that night we get a call from Charlie saying he just had a long talk with his mom, and she loves us so much but feels like we were pushy....we have never been push with her...and it was so sad. He gave us her new phone number, the one she would not give us and he told us that she needed a break for like 2 weeks. This seriously broke my heart! I think what is happening is that Jody has been making so many promises saying she will come to church when charlie is home, and now that he is home she is panicking a little since she made all these promises. I really hope she comes around,  I really love her so much and it is hard to see her like this....so that is the bummer story.
      
Now to the best stories. Well one of our investigators Dawn, I don't know if I have told you a lot about her. She was a former investigator that we decided to go see and now is taking the lessons again. Well this week we helped her clean and also set up her Christmas tree. Dawn is amazing, we really were able to connect while setting up her tree. I found out she lived in Switzerland for a little while and it was so fun cause we were talking about all the Christmas traditions we have. She is such a great lady. She came to the Christmas party! Then yesterday we helped her decorate her tree, and it reminded me of ours back at home, all different ornaments and it was so fun! It was adorable I  took pictures. We then taught her the 3rd lesson, and we decided to use just scripture for the lesson. Wow that was the best lesson I seriously think we have ever had. She had a question about faith, and it was one I had not heard before and I did not know how to answer it. Some how we answered it and it was amazing cause we didn't think we did, but she looked at us after pondering what we had said for a minute and she said " I have never heard it explained that way....that makes sense." She understood and it was amazing, she was completely diving into the lesson and was so entranced! Then at the end we committed he to baptism and she thought about it and said "maybe.."but it was like a "I will really think about it" maybe it was so cool. I know she did not accept, but I don't care because I think we finally got through to her in a way the other missionaries could not and now she really is thinking about it rather than just learning she is feeling the holy ghost testify to her. That was the best lesson ever!!! I love being a missionary, there is nothing better than this. Dawn also gave us a ornament for our future trees :) she is amazing and I will never forget her. I really don't know how to express how happy I am, how much I love Dawn and how special that lesson was.
         
Another amazing thing happened, we walked in to church and the Baldwins (active members) wave us down and point to the side of them, and there are the Jensen. I had the biggest smile on my face. The Jensen's are an older couple who moved from Vernal 14 years ago, they never were very active, but since being here they are completely inactive. They came here 14 years ago. They have not been for 14 years, and yesterday they broke the pattern and were at church. Brother Jensen looked to darn cute in his adorable suit and tie. I prayed like I have never prayed before, I think I prayed every second during sacrament to thank Heavenly Father. I started to tear up several times  during that meeting. The Jensens were holding hands and it was the most adorable thing ever. I lvoe them so much. Since the moment I met them here in Riverton I have felt so close to them, especially Brother Jensen. He sits right next to me during the lessons so that I can read loud enough for him to hear. We have just bonded and he had become a grandpa to me. When I saw them in church it meant the world to me. I am so thankful that they came. I love me Heavenly Father so much. Yesterday was the best day ever, it seriously was. 
      
Yes missionary life is hard a lot, but it is so worth it when you have days like yesterday, Being a missionary is the best. I have started to realize that more than likely this will be my only Christmas here on this mission, and it is awful. It is amazing to be here for this season, being able to completely focus on service and the birth of Christ and nothing else, there is nothing like it.  It is so spectacular, I don't want it to end.
       
The ward is so stinking sweet also. The young women gave each of us a stocking with little presents in it for the 12 days of Christmas, and Sister Adams that houses the other missionaries also gave us a 12 days, and it is so fun!!!!
    
Now  to the absolute best part! Dacey was baptized!!! The beginning of the day was crazy cause our ward mission leader forgot about it and went 4 hours away to Sheridan! so we did  not have any keys to fill the font and we had an hour an a half, I was freaking out. Luckily the elders came to the rescue and had keys we could use. Then after that chaos was over the baptism was so amazing! This sweet 10 year old girl was baptized by her grandpa, she had waited 2 years till her dad finally said it was ok,. She never gave up, if anything she got more persistent. After her baptism she had that glow about her, that is my favorite thing to see. She was the closest one in that room to our Heavenly Father at that moment. She is beautiful. Her mom started crying as soon as she started talking on baptism, she was crying and crying and it was the sweetest thing. There was something different about Dacey being baptized than any other baptism I have been to, and I think it is because of the struggle she went through to get her there, and the hardship her mom also went through while trying to get her there also. Dacey's little brother Jordan is 8 and hopefully he can get baptized soon. He is my little buddy, haha.   I took a picture with him also haha. Oh Dacey's older brother was there, and I think he saw the difference between his baptism into another church and his sisters. When she was confirmed he had this peculiar look on his face, you could see how he was realizing that he doesn't have the Holy Ghost. Till now he has thought he had it, but I think he realized she received it after the baptism..and he never had a confirmation. I think he is starting to see that :) Saturday was so amazing to see her family  rally together to support her.
     
Even though we have had a couple rough experiences this week. I think this week was the best.

PS mom I got Debbie and Diana's packages and letters :) I have not opened the gift from Debbie yet though, I figure I will wait till Christmas haha
         
I love you all and I am so happy to hear that everything is going great! I love you and I will talk to you soon, have a good week!
                                                  
Love, Andrea
 
Sister Vanessa Wigington (her mom), Dacey and Us
Me and Jordan
Dacey in her dress after.

No comments:

Post a Comment